static map as a type function
bcarneal at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 23:59:44 UTC 2020
On Wednesday, 23 September 2020 at 22:36:55 UTC, Walter Bright
> On 9/23/2020 4:49 AM, Per Nordlöw wrote:
>> Great work. Has Andrei given any advice on how to proceed
>> regarding dip, reviews and acceptance? I presume this will get
>> merged behind a -preview if it gets merged.
> The other way to do it is just have the compiler recognize
> recursive templates and implement them directly. This would
> provide the speedup, while not adding new features or requiring
> any user code changes - it'll just run faster.
I see a few reasons to prefer type functions, wherever applicable
(they cant do everything):
1) type functions admit a simpler/bounded compiler implementation
2) type functions admit simpler meta programs and the related
3) type functions should be easier to debug, eager rather than
lazy/latent compile time errors for one thing
4) type functions exhibit better locality than templates
5) to achieve type function like simplicity/debuggability with
templates you need to rely more heavily on "best practices"
More information about the Digitalmars-d