Severin Teona - SAOC Milestone 1 Update 1 - Druntime for Microcontrollers

Denis Feklushkin feklushkin.denis at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 04:28:32 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 24 September 2020 at 19:03:36 UTC, Severin Teona
wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This is an update for the first week of the first milestone for
> SAOC 2020.
>
> My idea for the first two weeks (the original outline is at
> [1]) was to:
> - try to build the druntime for an embedded architecture (the
> microcontroller I’m working with has an ARM Cortex-M4 CPU).

It is important to remember that it is impossible to build
default druntime just for some (hardware) architecture.

druntime needs architecture + "OS", because it is need to call
something for memory allocations (malloc) and for other stuff
like this. This "OS" can be reduced to few your own functions or
maybe to TockOS calls or to baremetal libc implementation.

(Current druntime slightly uses libc calls. This is not as bad as
it might seem, this is not touches "purity" of the language. In
fact, libc isn't only C library, but de-facto standard for access
to OSes functions.)