Reimplementing the bulk of std.meta iteratively

Paul Backus snarwin at gmail.com
Sat Sep 26 17:45:53 UTC 2020

On Saturday, 26 September 2020 at 17:30:44 UTC, Stefan Koch wrote:

> The PR referenced does not give, actually give you the ability
> to dereify types within CTFE.
> The PR forces a template and template has to have template
> parameters to take the mangles.
> I would think that is against the actual goal.

It's against the goal if your goal is for meta-functions to be
100% monomorphic. But it does accomplish the goal of turning
template recursion (O(n) instantiations) into flat iteration
(O(1) instantiations).

Personally, I don't think 100% monomorphism is necessary or
particularly desirable, so I'm ok with a design that eschews it.