Reimplementing the bulk of std.meta iteratively

Bruce Carneal bcarneal at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 15:55:56 UTC 2020

On Monday, 28 September 2020 at 14:16:20 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 9/28/20 8:46 AM, Stefan Koch wrote:
>> On Monday, 28 September 2020 at 03:03:01 UTC, Andrei
>> Alexandrescu wrote:
>>>
>>> Sorry! Didn't mean to sound dismissive at all. Meant to just
>>> say, don't shun templates, embrace them and thrive.
>>
>> In practice template can quite literally explode though.
>> Which could be a valid reason to shun them.
>> You can embrace them, of course, and thrive.
>> The question is for how long you will thrive.
>
> For a very long time judging by the success C++ is enjoying
> with them.

As you note, by employing a variety of "best practices", of
extra-language conventions, of one-level-of-indirection wrappers,
of "human must certify this correct" mechanisms, the C++
community has indeed "thrived".

We've not settled for that meta programming drudgery, that
friction, in the past.  You know better this better than anyone
else on the planet.  I hope we don't "settle" going forward.