DIP66 - Multiple alias this

mw mingwu at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 18:33:34 UTC 2020

On Monday, 28 September 2020 at 18:13:15 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 05:59:19PM +0000, mw via Digitalmars-d
> wrote:
>> I think this deserved to be better known:
>>
>> The diamond problem is a *solved* problem by Eiffel language,
>> which won the 2006 ACM Software System Award:
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ACM_Software_System_Award
>
> That award has nothing to do with the diamond problem.  There
> is nothing in the link that even mentions the diamond problem.

The two hallmarks of Eiffel, is design-by-contract and multiple
inheritance, which is known in academics (in my former life).

it's a pity that

D only picked design-by-contract from Eiffel, but throw away
multiple inheritance,

... and instead introduced sub-typing, mixin,

which Walter said:

https://forum.dlang.org/post/rb4seo$bfm$1@digitalmars.com

"""
The trouble was, it was inserted without realizing it was
multiple inheritance, meaning its behaviors are ad-hoc and don't
make a whole lot of sense when examined carefully.
"""

If we really want to fix it, can do it in D3.