What are the prominent downsides of the D programming language?

mw mingwu at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 20:47:06 UTC 2020

On Tuesday, 29 September 2020 at 20:29:49 UTC, jmh530 wrote:
> On Tuesday, 29 September 2020 at 18:38:29 UTC, mw wrote:
>> [snip]
>>
>> Good to hear, I opened an discussion issue here:
>>
>> https://github.com/jll63/openmethods.d/issues/19
>>
>> Anyone who's interested in the implementation, let's continue
>> the brain storming there.
>
> You might recall that back in June I wrote [1] that D does not
> have the ability to properly disable base members and member
> functions, which would make implementing Eiffel-like semantics
> significantly easier as part of the base language.
>
> [1]
> https://forum.dlang.org/post/tpwwzkvcarqquqslspul@forum.dlang.org

Yes, I remember that. That approach is still trying to somehow
trick / patch (e.g. via some form of opDispath) the current D
object system.

The LISP (CLOS) multi-methods approach is different: basically,
you build the dispatch mechanism yourself; so everything is under
the libraries' control.

This is essentially how openmethods.d Multiple Dispatch is done.