What are the prominent downsides of the D programming language?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Wed Sep 30 02:17:37 UTC 2020

On Wed, Sep 30, 2020 at 01:26:09AM +0000, mw via Digitalmars-d wrote:
[...]
> I'm fine, if D just stick with single inheritance, just as Java did.
>
> But the problem here is (as we discussed many times): currently with
> multiple interface, (multiple) mixin, (multiple) subtyping, multiple
> inheritance *has* crept into D *already*, and in a broken way.

How is multiple interface broken?  Java has multiple interfaces. Are you
saying that Java is broken?  (I wouldn't disagree, but just want to
clarify what exactly you mean.)

Mixins are not the same thing. They are a way to inject code into an
aggregate, but are not directly recognized as subtyping in the sense of
inheritance (i.e., it doesn't implicitly convert).

> If we have a *broken* effective multiple inheritance already, why not
> have a *proper* multiple inheritance instead.

This is fallacious.  If we have broken feature X, it does not
necessarily follow that we must replace it with a non-broken X.
Removing X altogether is also a possible solution.

The problem with the world is that everybody else is stupid.