Reimplementing the bulk of std.meta iteratively

Joseph Rushton Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Wed Sep 30 15:16:51 UTC 2020

On Monday, 28 September 2020 at 02:58:13 UTC, Bruce Carneal wrote:
> I hope and believe that there is another such advance available
> to us in the form of type functions.  The recently discovered
> alternative, reify/dereify, appears to be equivalent in power
> but is, comparatively, baroque.

Having been following Stefan's work on type functions for some
time now, and really liking the friendly syntax that it allows, I
would really appreciate a more detailed breakdown of the pros and
cons when compared to this approach here.

As I understand it neither requires very significant compiler
changes, and both allow us to rewrite existing Phobos templates
in ways that greatly improve performance.

@Andrei would you be happy to share your thoughts in more detail
on all this, and how you feel we should balance out the different
concerns and interests?