Voting for forum posts

Vladimir Panteleev thecybershadow.lists at gmail.com
Thu Apr 1 08:40:10 UTC 2021

On Wednesday, 31 March 2021 at 21:26:48 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> I wonder how difficult it would be to add a voting system for
> forum messages. Votes wouldn't be available in the NNTP
> interface but would be accessible in the Web interface and
> would allow sorting and filtering by votes.
>
> cc Vladimir :o)

This idea did come up before, and is controversial as others have
pointed out. My personal thoughts about this today are:

- Downvotes are not nice to receive and in general carry bad
vibes.

- Sorting or filtering by votes creates unhealthy incentives -
there is now a system which would be advantageous to "game".

- Having a way to publicly communicate agreement or appreciation
with a post without all the bulky noise associated with a reply
might be nice. Good vibes only!

- The only way I can think of to translate the votes to the
NNTP/email medium is either converting them to messages which
have nothing but a +1 (which is very spammy), or not doing it at
all. Neither is ideal.

- Different people engage with the community with different
attitudes and expectations. I'm not sure how much sense it would
make to flatten this to a single number.

- In any case, at the moment we seem to be doing okay, at least
as far as people intentionally participating in unconstructive
ways.