Voting for forum posts

RazvanN razvan.nitu1305 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 1 14:24:13 UTC 2021

On Thursday, 1 April 2021 at 12:18:33 UTC, Timon Gehr wrote:
> On 01.04.21 10:05, RazvanN wrote:

> Most of them with additional text.
>
> If we had a voting system, your comment would have been voted
>
> The post that got so much support _literally_ said that a
> voting system would be a bad idea, and why.

Yes, people that wanted to understand the flow of the
conversation without going through all of the messages would have
seen the initial comment which would have been voted by a lot of
people and maybe my comment which may have been supported by
people who agree with me. This way you read 2 comments and you
understand the general debate. If you want to zoom in to the
details, you can just select the normal, currently used,
algorithm where votes don't count. I see it as an optional
feature which you can use if you want to.

> If that's a problem for web interface users, improve the web
> interface.

I don't see how the interface would solve the verbosity problem.
If you have 200+ messages in a thread, how can the interface help
you without having some filters?

> Downvotes are worse than useless. Just upvote the rebuttal
> instead; at least it will be clear what you voted for. E.g., if
> I just downvoted your post, that would not have helped you
> understand why.

I am not fixated on a specific proposal, I was just stating that
a voting scheme, however we choose to implement it may bring some
benefit. I agree that downvoting isn't very useful, but upvoting
could be used as a mean to find the comments that were mostly
appreciated by people. If you don't care about that, you can just
use the old interface where posts are presented in a
chronological order.