Voting for forum posts

Q. Schroll qs.il.paperinik at gmail.com
Thu Apr 1 15:38:26 UTC 2021

On Thursday, 1 April 2021 at 08:40:10 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev
wrote:
> On Wednesday, 31 March 2021 at 21:26:48 UTC, Andrei
> Alexandrescu wrote:
>> I wonder how difficult it would be to add a voting system for
>> forum messages. Votes wouldn't be available in the NNTP
>> interface but would be accessible in the Web interface and
>> would allow sorting and filtering by votes.
>
> This idea did come up before, and is controversial as others
> have pointed out. My personal thoughts about this today are:
>
> - Downvotes are not nice to receive and in general carry bad
> vibes.

I agree that downvotes are not nice to receive. Keeping someone
in a cushion can be worse in the long run than a clear cut
message such as a 50%+ dislike ratio they need to hear.

> - Sorting or filtering by votes creates unhealthy incentives -
> there is now a system which would be advantageous to "game".

I agree, especially if the sorted/filtered view is the default
one. If you'd have to actively seek it, I guess it wouldn't lead
to trouble. Defaults matter.

> - Having a way to publicly communicate agreement or
> appreciation with a post without all the bulky noise associated
> with a reply might be nice.

Yes. And having a way to publicly communicate disagreement or
disapproval with a post without all the bulky noise associated
with a reply might be nice, too.

> Good vibes only!

No. Bad feelings can be healthy. No *toxic* vibes, yes!
I often got bad feelings engaging with people here. I'm always a
little nervous about what people think when posting. That's okay.

> - The only way I can think of to translate the votes to the
> NNTP/email medium is either converting them to messages which
> have nothing but a +1 (which is very spammy), or not doing it
> at all. Neither is ideal.

I cannot say anything about that.

> - Different people engage with the community with different
> attitudes and expectations. I'm not sure how much sense it
> would make to flatten this to a single number.

Constructive people engage constructively. Toxic people engage
toxicly. It's really >99% the people (posters and moderation) and
<1% the system.

I have years of experience with two apps where people could post
jokes, both with up- and down-votes, in both one could comment on
posts and vote even the comments.
* One had no manual moderation (posts were deleted on a flag vs
votes basis) and a really toxic part-community. There were
(separate) groups who posted spam, extremely offensive jokes, or
falsely flagged posts of popular people.
* The other has only manual moderation and almost no toxic posts.
I was a moderator myself for roughly a year. When you get a lot
of down-votes there, it's a clear indication that your joke was
unfunny, really bad or stupidly offensive.

Now here's the funny part: The second app was developed as a
better and less toxic version of the first one, and it worked,
apparently despite having down-votes.

> - In any case, at the moment we seem to be doing okay, at least
> as far as people intentionally participating in unconstructive
> ways.

Agreed. No one here thinks we desperately need votes. It's just a
cost–risk–benefit analysis. Apart from the
implementation effort, I think having two numbers below the name,
photo, "Posted in reply to" in the box on the right will do very
little harm at worst, but give people information.