Semicolon?

Schrom, Brian T Brian.Schrom at pnnl.gov
Thu Apr 1 15:27:36 UTC 2021

On Thu, Apr 01, 2021 at 12:07:54AM -0700, Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> It's one of those perennial good ideas, like implicit declarations, that
> resurface every couple of years. It isn't obvious why they are a bad idea, until
> you work with them for a while.

Speculatively, I'd guess that there is a Shannon information theory
angle, though I've not seen it applied to programming languages.
Basically, a successful communications channel has an error rate and
a redundancy rate, for error recovery.

The syntax and programmer ability contribute to the error rate part
and redundant information, like semicolons and type checking, contribute
to the redundancy part.  If these two quantities could be measured
and plotted, it wouldn't surprise me if "successful" languages
clustered around an optimal point, maybe as a function of programmer
experience or type of program.