Voting for forum posts

tsbockman thomas.bockman at gmail.com
Thu Apr 1 18:31:37 UTC 2021

On Thursday, 1 April 2021 at 08:05:29 UTC, RazvanN wrote:
> What I get from this is that voting can be also good or bad
> depending on how we use it.

The problem is that it's extremely difficult to establish and
enforce a healthy voting culture.

Many websites have "rules" like "Don't downvote just because you
disagree," "Upvote content that contributes to the discussion,"
"No brigading," and "No ballot stuffing." But, the breaking of
these rules still ends up dominating the results.

Individual misuse of the voting system is much harder to detect
than abuse of the right to comment, and so bad actors tend to
stick around. Eventually they take over entirely, as voting
begins to influence meta discussions like this one.

> IMHO having an upvote/downvote scheme could be beneficial
> in some situations if it is implemented properly.

I think forum voting systems are beneficial in some
circumstances, but not specifically for the big technical debates
that people are suggesting we use them for.