Rich text formatting is now available on forum.dlang.org

Vladimir Panteleev thecybershadow.lists at gmail.com
Fri Apr 2 07:56:58 UTC 2021

On Thursday, 1 April 2021 at 16:21:42 UTC, ag0aep6g wrote:
> On Thursday, 1 April 2021 at 07:27:38 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev
> wrote:
>> I am delighted to announce that as of today, you can use rich
>> text formatting in forum.dlang.org messages.
>
> With Markdown enabled, the forum now eats HTML tags. If I enter
> "<foo>" and hit "save and preview", I see nothing.

I have added a lint rule which warns on thus omitted HTML code,
and offers to fix it (by adding escaping backslashes).

> Worse, this also happens to quoted text. So if someone else
> wrote "<foo>" with Markdown disabled, and I reply to that
> message with Markdown enabled, the quote gets garbled. This
> also affects entities (e.g. "&#x1F608;").

Yes. This applies to all Markdown formatting in general. This is
why Markdown formatting is disabled by default when replying to a
post which was not in Markdown. If the author of the reply wishes
to enable it, it is on them to ensure that the quoted parts of
parent posts still make sense when rendered as Markdown.

It's not a problem that's unsolvable mechanically, but it would
require that the "Enable Markdown" checkbox, in this
circumstance, instead be presented as a button, which wraps
quoted parts from the parent into code blocks, or other
constructs which disable interpreting Markdown.