Voting for forum posts

Alexandru Ermicioi alexandru.ermicioi at gmail.com
Fri Apr 2 08:51:14 UTC 2021

On Thursday, 1 April 2021 at 14:25:09 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:

It seems that we already have some sort of voting system in these
forums, just look at all of these +1 replies, it is just not
being used by web interface, to provide some useful insight.

I think it is possible to have a voting system, based on +1
emails which people tend to reply when they see a message or a
section of that message that they agree on, and simply have
nothing more to say.

Usually such messages start with an excerpt from previous
message, followed by a +1 and optionally some text that expresses
users opinion on that message (by enforcing or complementing it).

If we do implement it based on such kind of emails, the NNTP
clients would see them as another bunch of emails, however the
web interface would be able to parse them, and then highlight
original message with how many up-votes or down-votes (if any)
that section of message has. It may even optionally show list of
replies that up-voted/down-voted that section.

The advantage of using +1 emails, is that user doesn't just
up-vote or down-vote a message, he has to specify which part of
message he up-votes/down-votes.

The web interface may introduce also some restrictions to
down-vote capability requiring user to type some reason to
down-vote, otherwise it would not be counted.

As for users who down-vote/up-vote ignoring restrictions found in
web interface, web interface should just ignore them, and hide
from any insight it may provide.

Best regards,
Alexandru.