[OT] Re: Voting for forum posts

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Fri Apr 2 10:07:14 UTC 2021

On 4/2/2021 12:58 AM, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
>> @Vladimir, I think something went wrong with the rich text thingy. This
>> message shows "–" in Thunderbird.
>
> They are that way because the author typed them that way. It is probably the
> easiest way to type those characters on many systems.

I cast about for a long time on the easiest way to add Unicode characters in
microEmacs. I finally settled on placing the cursor over a character, and
hitting ^X-U. It will scroll through related symbols. Put it over an a, and it
will scroll through ä, etc. You don't need to remember anything but "it looks
like an a".

Of course this doesn't remotely handle all Unicode characters, but it gets the
most used ones.