Voting for forum posts

Kagamin spam at here.lot
Fri Apr 2 20:15:08 UTC 2021

On Thursday, 1 April 2021 at 14:25:09 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> I appreciate your nuanced take as I was a bit taken aback by
> the blanket statement that voting is bad, which I find
> anachronistic in a "don't use cars because accidents" way.
> Proposal got downvoted as it were :o).

I thought about this a bit more and I think a decent voting
system can be implemented in this particular forum :)
1. implement voting in the form of moderation (moting?).
2. the trick: reuse the flagging team to do moting; I assume if
they can flag, they can also implement a moting policy.
3. the moting policy for a start: vote factual informative posts
like Steven's description of slice structure, documentation
clarifications, explanations of GC internals, helpful code
samples; but not, e.g. a proposal of an interpolated string
design, because it's not a fact, but a proposed design tradeoff
competing with other proposed tradeoffs; rationale: upvotes are
de jure positive, but de facto you can be surprised to discover
dark corners of your psychics that never saw the light of day;
facts should be sufficiently non-controversial for everyone.
4. possible UX: don't show votes in interface, only use them
internally for sorting when one requests such sorting, the
resulting order should be evident enough.