Time to move std.experimental.checkedint to std.checkedint ?

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Fri Apr 2 20:56:04 UTC 2021

On 4/1/2021 10:59 PM, Elronnd wrote:
> On Thursday, 1 April 2021 at 00:50:21 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> On 3/30/2021 9:28 PM, Elronnd wrote:
>>> Why is this being seriously discussed as a performance pitfall?
>>
>> 1% is a serious improvement. If it wasn't, why would Rust (for example) who
>> likely tried harder than anyone to make it work, still disable it for release
>> code?
>
> That's an appeal to authority.  You haven't actually justified their choice.
> (Nor, for that matter, have you justified that 1% is a serious performance
> improvement.)

That's backwards. You want other people to invest in this technology, you need
to justify it.

I've been in this business for 40 years. I know for a fact that if you're trying
to sell a high performance language that is inherently slower than the current
one they're using, you've got a huge problem.

Having written high performance apps myself, I'll take 1%. I work on getting a
lot smaller gains than that, because they add up.

As for Appeal to Authority, there is more nuance to it than one might think:

"Exception: Be very careful not to confuse "deferring to an authority on the
issue" with the appeal to authority fallacy. Remember, a fallacy is an error in
reasoning. Dismissing the council of legitimate experts and authorities turns
good skepticism into denialism. The appeal to authority is a fallacy in
argumentation, but deferring to an authority is a reliable heuristic that we all
use virtually every day on issues of relatively little importance. There is
always a chance that any authority can be wrong, that’s why the critical thinker
accepts facts provisionally. It is not at all unreasonable (or an error in
reasoning) to accept information as provisionally true by credible authorities.
Of course, the reasonableness is moderated by the claim being made (i.e., how
extraordinary, how important) and the authority (how credible, how relevant to
the claim)."

https://www.logicallyfallacious.com/logicalfallacies/Appeal-to-Authority

---

I'm not preventing anyone from adding integer overflow detection to D. Feel free
to make a prototype and we can all evaluate it.