Voting for forum posts

deadalnix deadalnix at gmail.com
Sat Apr 3 00:05:54 UTC 2021

On Thursday, 1 April 2021 at 14:33:43 UTC, Q. Schroll wrote:
> On Wednesday, 31 March 2021 at 21:40:15 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe
> wrote:
>> Online voting is emotionally toxic and logically fallacious.
>
> You're wrong, like really wrong. If that were true,
> [SO](https://stackoverflow.com) should be the pinnacle of
> emotionally toxic and logically fallacious posts when it comes
> to programming topics, but it's exactly the contrary: SO is one
> of the best if not *the* best resource for programming
> questions — and I'd claim it is because of their voting
> system and not in spite of it.

Well, yes and no.

I've seen subreddit go into runaway mode where some content gets
upvoted, which gets folks to self select and both feed into each
other. The place turn to shit in no time.

It can work, but it require heavy moderation, which I don't think
anyone want to do here. You'll note that all successful example
are heavily curated to begin with.