Finding the best auto completion sorting

WebFreak001 d.forum at webfreak.org
Tue Apr 6 06:36:16 UTC 2021

On Tuesday, 6 April 2021 at 05:48:19 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> On Monday, 5 April 2021 at 22:50:29 UTC, WebFreak001 wrote:
>> Hi all, there have been sorting improvements made in serve-d
>> which will affect how user's auto completion will look like
>> when having broad matches. [(1)]
>>
>> To get a better starting point how you prefer it I would like
>> to do a survey where everyone sends in their preferred sorting
>> rules.
>>
>> For this please visit https://completion.webfreak.org/ and
>> submit your preferred sorting for this broad auto complete
>> case.
>>
>> In reality not all types can even be shown at once, (e.g. both
>> `opBinary` and `init` at the same time would be impossible)
>> but for the general case this is helpful in finding what users
>> expect.
>>
>> [(1)]: https://github.com/Pure-D/serve-d/pull/127
>
> Thanks for the work, maybe another approach to the sorting
> order would be to integrate something like Intelicode,
> https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=VisualStudioExptTeam.vscodeintellicode

that would certainly be nice but until they open it up to third
party developers it's impossible to actually add that using their
extension. You would need to roll your own and I think a simple
list of commonly used things in a given context would work just
as well. (also sourced from projects on GitHub)