Andrei's list of barriers to D adoption

Radek rtrzicky at artie.cz
Wed Apr 7 14:21:40 UTC 2021

On Monday, 6 June 2016 at 06:29:27 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> On 6/6/16 6:17 AM, Andre Pany wrote:
>> to be usable for companies which want to create economic
>> software,
>> in my opinion D lacks std.decimal.
>
> Do C, C++, Java, Go, or Rust have a standard decimal type? --
> Andrei

Hello Andrei, there's a nice arbitrary precision arithmetic
library for Java: http://apfloat.org/apfloat_java - we used it
some time ago because we had to mirror Oracle's number precision.
It also provides all important arithmetic, trigonometric and
other functions we need. There's C++ version too:
http://apfloat.org/apfloat/2.41 - but I don't know if it has all
the features Java version has, it was last updated at 2006.

I think it would be very very nice to have it ported to D...

Sorry for bothering you, I'm new to D language, I have bought a
book and I'm learning now, but the project I think I will write
in D needs to mirror Oracle's number or Postgresql's numeric
precision too... Yes, there will be minimal need of that
precision in reality and I can live with decimal[32|64|128] for
now.

Best regards, Radek