World needs a safe language

Dylan Graham dylan.graham2000 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 10 23:04:59 UTC 2021

On Saturday, 10 April 2021 at 18:57:39 UTC, Max Haughton wrote:
> On Saturday, 10 April 2021 at 15:50:51 UTC, Dylan Graham wrote:
>> On Friday, 9 April 2021 at 21:37:51 UTC, Independent wrote:
>>> World needs a safe language statically typed language without
>>> GC but simpler than rust. D's biggest win against rust is
>>> that it has much better interop than rust with C++. If we
>>> make D a no GC,safe language it can easily beat rust. GC can
>>> be optional. No company wants to rip and replace existing c++
>>> code. Why would some want to use D since go with GC is
>>> already there which is backed by a big corp. Their marketing
>>> made GC good. However good D is compared to Go, its hard to
>>> suceed with GC. This is just my opinion. well wisher.
>>
>> If you want absolute safety, just use Rust. Let D be D.
>
> Why should D be unsafe?

The only premise OP has offered is Rust but  simpler(TM). I'm not
saying D should be unsafe, but coming in with the basis of Rust
but simpler(TM) and no explanation what that means or how to
achieve it, then yeah, it's an open ended moot point. Especially
after saying no one wants to use D with GC (so I assume D's
metaprogramming, UCFS, contract programming, etc means nothing)
because Go exists and then says D should be like Rust, when Rust
exists.

D is a community project. If you want it to change, write a DIP,
commit some code or donate. I want D to be better in the embedded
world, so I've been writing a suitable runtime and I've donated
to the foundation.