Writing a (dis-)assembler for 8-bit code in D - blog posts

starcanopy starcanopy at protonmail.com
Tue Apr 20 04:55:51 UTC 2021

On Monday, 19 April 2021 at 20:05:57 UTC, Brian wrote:
> The whole point of the disassembler and assembler was to answer
> (for myself, really) if I could successfully teach someone with
> effectively no formal CS education how to write such tools.
> Imagine someone who never learned data structures wanting to
> write their own tools. You could hand them this dis/assembler,
> they could learn everything about them with just the code, the
> blog posts, and the skills they have now. And once they've done
> that, then you say "great, now go learn DS and algo and ..." So
> ways to make the code more readable to that target audience are
> appreciated and will almost certainly become the topic of their
> own post on the blog in that series.

I'm in your target audience (never taken a CS class), and while
I've only read the initial entry in the series, I think your
prose is good, and your elucidations just as so. I look forward
to reading the proceeding posts, so thanks for writing!
With regards to using D, I think it's a good choice if only for
the fact that it appears similar to C and one may translate code
to-and-fro with relatively little hassle, but doesn't necessitate
the degree of circumspection that the latter demands of a
beginner. So, perhaps, progressing from "un-idiomatic" D (i.e.
C-like?) to more modern practices could be a sub-plot of sorts.