Tasks, actors and garbage collection

russhy russhy at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 21:59:30 UTC 2021

>Well, it would be 0ms, if it runs when the task is idle. If the
>task is short lived then it would be like an arena-allocator
>(faster than malloc).

Then just use an arena allocator, why everyone wants to make
things complicated for everyone, and as a default

It's just like the Thread, or even Fibers, can't even be used
without the GC, that is a very very very poor and short sighted
mindset

>The people who were unhappy with D having a GC has probably left
>for Rust at this point. So it seems like the majority wants to
>have a GC.

Reason why language stagnates, noone left to take it to the next
level

Worse, the ones who stayed are taking D to the wrong direction by
focusing on the GC

>If it keeps moving at this pace then it will never happen... and
>the language semantics for borrowing isn't there.

Argument that i share, we need the foundation people and
walter/atila etc to show up in these discussions, but they never
do, so no interesting debates happen, reason why language
stagnates

>Yes, if it had happened 4 years ago, but it is kinda too late.
>If there had been traction in the community for making
>everything RC then things wouldn't move so slowly with memory
>management as it does now. Borrowing won't happen either, for it
>to happen there should've been a gamma-release by now. It will
>take years to get it to work properly after the first
>gamma-release.

That is a very short term mindset, another reason why language
stagnates, lack of vision and lack of proper discussion to make
pragmatic and future proof changes/deprecations/decisions

Whenever that discussion happen, it's always "it's too late",
"it'll never happen", "it's the way it is", "just embrace the
bad, stagnating, non-scalable GC"

The main issue is the lack of will and courage from the team to
ackowledge the poor state of the GC and they play hide&seek when
it comes to discussing/debating about it