Tasks, actors and garbage collection

TheGag96 thegag96 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 21 01:00:59 UTC 2021

On Tuesday, 20 April 2021 at 16:28:46 UTC, russhy wrote:
> We need to transition to RC instead of GC, the sooner, the
> better

Maybe I'm wrong, but wouldn't we be just going from one form of
memory management people find slow to another? And a kind we know
is *particularly* slow (even if more predictable)? It seems to me
that the really anti-GC crowd (or the portion of it that I know
of - the Handmade / game dev group) doesn't want GC nor RC, but
instead something way more C-like, with custom allocators and
such. I think that's what languages like Zig that sprang up out
of nowhere are suddenly taking off and why there's still
anticipation for Jai nearly 7 years later.

I do kind of agree that maybe a D3 is what's needed in order to
have a clean rethinking and uncrufting of the language. I've been
feeling that despite D's amazing features and upsides, something
just isn't clicking with people. Since I became an avid D fan
many years ago, most programmers I talk to have never heard of
it, and the situation has not gotten better over time.