GNU Make fork with D support

Brian bcallah at openbsd.org
Fri Apr 23 16:15:30 UTC 2021

On Friday, 23 April 2021 at 15:01:01 UTC, Paul Backus wrote:
> On Friday, 23 April 2021 at 12:34:09 UTC, Brian wrote:
>> So I went ahead and added D support to GNU Make:
>> https://github.com/ibara/gmake-d
>> I am unsure how welcoming such a change would be to upstream,
>> but this is an entirely vanilla GNU Make just a few additions
>> (the file dlang.diff in the repo will tell you all the changes
>> needed). Clone, build, install, and away you go.
>>
>> ~Brian
>
> Rather than add these rules and variable definitions to GNU
> `make`'s hard-coded internal lists, it seems like it would be
> much easier to distribute them in a file like `dlang.mk`, which
> users could then `include` into their own makefiles.

Maybe? In general I don't like those kinds of approaches, but I'd
be willing to add such things to the repo.

IME, if you give people even the slightest reason not to do
something, they won't do it. Asking them to include something
that gmake could have built-in is just going to get people to say
"I don't wanna use D then, it's not even a part of gmake."

Yes, that could be a criticism of this approach too. But I'd at
least be willing to try to upstream it if it's something the
community wants as a means towards amelioration of that criticism.

~Brian