GNU Make fork with D support

Paul Backus snarwin at gmail.com
Fri Apr 23 16:37:15 UTC 2021

On Friday, 23 April 2021 at 16:15:30 UTC, Brian wrote:
> Maybe? In general I don't like those kinds of approaches, but
> I'd be willing to add such things to the repo.
>
> IME, if you give people even the slightest reason not to do
> something, they won't do it. Asking them to include something
> that gmake could have built-in is just going to get people to
> say "I don't wanna use D then, it's not even a part of gmake."

My impression is that `make` users are used to having to write
their own makefiles, even for languages like C and C++ that have
some built-in support, so I would not expect this to be a big
deal. And conversely, anyone looking for a build system that
"just works" out-of-the-box is unlikely to choose `make` to begin
with.

Regardless, I am not saying that you should not attempt to get
this merged upstream--but in the interim, I think most D
programmers would find it much easier to download and `include` a
makefile fragment than to install an entire separate version of
`make` from source.