GNU Make fork with D support

Vladimir Panteleev thecybershadow.lists at gmail.com
Fri Apr 23 22:48:56 UTC 2021

On Friday, 23 April 2021 at 12:34:09 UTC, Brian wrote:
> So I went ahead and added D support to GNU Make:
> https://github.com/ibara/gmake-d

It looks like it doesn't handle inter-module dependencies yet.

You might be interested in looking at `rdmd`'s `--makedepend` and
`--makedepfile` switches. These output a module dependency graph
in a format that can be included into a makefile, thus allowing
safe and correct rebuilds of D programs.

However, generally, single-object compilation doesn't scale very
well. This area has been explored quite thoroughly over the past
two decades, and I think the best middle ground is that which Dub
uses: build things one package at a time, and then link them
together. Issues with which object files which template
instantiations go into, and the quality of generated `.di` files,
have been the obstacles in significantly improving the building
of D programs, and I don't think sufficient progress has occurred
there lately either.