Tasks, actors and garbage collection

evilrat evilrat666 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 09:22:12 UTC 2021

On Monday, 26 April 2021 at 06:35:25 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> On Sunday, 25 April 2021 at 19:41:39 UTC, russhy wrote:
>>> We already have zig and rust, adding yet another fancy slick
>>> no GC landuage is dead end.
>>

>> Same defeatist mentality i keep reading here, this is not what
>> D need
>>
>>> So please stop your no-GC whine. People already heard you,
>>> more than once too.
>>
>> I will never stop fighting for D from the people who wants to
>> ruin it with more GC
>
> D is open source, you are free to take care of your special
> flavoured D.

There is already Volt language, and Odin and Zig languages which
is very D inspired and "simple" compared to D, there is a lot to
choose from.
But Take GC from D and you get C2 language (guess where it is
now? oh I've heard they given up and started C3 language which is
even better than C2, fantastic!), and there was even more
"simple" C-- (C minus minus) language, but can you guess where it
is now?
Or maybe he want to repeat Python 2 vs 3 story? That was almost
killed entire language. D just can't afford switching direction
amid its course. But what if this really necessary? Ok, why not,
just put it under a new name. But don't touch the original.

That guy teaches us about how bad GC is and provides nonsensical
examples of how brave developers avoid GC by all means because of
just how evil it is, meanwhile Unity have been working just fine
on mobile for 10+ years, and UE4 works just fine (CPU performance
wise) on average 4 years old smartphone.

I also like how he hijacked the thread and expects answers from
Walter and Andrey who never showed up in the thread. He demands
from them make something because he wanted it.
That's definitely not going to work.

If he is so serious about reducing GC dependency he could
probably start patching phobos with no-GC functionality to be on
par, that would be at least useful, but in the long run it will
just add clutter, technical debt and bloat(omg!).
To make phobos usable with @nogc it would need some serious
rethinking, research and planning. It is not just "remove GC" and
done, this will require adding monads and stuff, pattern
matching, and more. The result will probably end up look like
Rust too.