Tasks, actors and garbage collection

SealabJaster sealabjaster at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 13:50:09 UTC 2021

On Tuesday, 27 April 2021 at 13:29:43 UTC, evilrat wrote:
> So what's the problem with you?

Just commenting here as an observation, I think one of his main
points is that there's a lack of a standard library based around
allocators rather than the GC.

While there's dub packages for this stuff, it's all very
scattered and incompatible with one another. And most of the
higher level libraries make use of the GC instead of supporting
allocators (which is understandable, considering they were never
moved out of std.experimental).

I *think* what he's trying to say is that, while D allows you to
avoid the GC and do whatever, the overall ecosystem for @nogc is
quite lacking and has no leadership or vision for something
cohesive, and is just a hodgepodge of random hobby libraries.

I personally wouldn't use D if it didn't have its GC, so I do
feel that claims that "D is perfectly useable without the GC"
while technically true, may not be practically true. If that
makes sense. Especially if compared to @nogc languages like C++
and Rust.

All the "anti-bloat" and "pragmatic" stuff though I have no clue
about. D's super pragmatic. Phobos may or may not be bloated,
idk, I feel I don't even use a large portion of Phobos. Mostly
just the metaprogramming, algorithm/ranges, and
formatting+conversion stuff. Also a hint of
std.experimental.logger

My point is, even though this guy's very strong with his wording
and I'd also say flat out incorrect with some of these
statements, there's areas here that might be worth thinking about
a bit more since D may have deficiencies there.