Modern C++ Won't Save Us

bioinfornatics bioinfornatics at fedoraproject.org
Thu Apr 29 06:46:40 UTC 2021

On Wednesday, 28 April 2021 at 13:18:57 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> On Wednesday, 28 April 2021 at 10:33:43 UTC, bioinfornatics
> wrote:
>> D do not have yet a competitive framework on Big Data «à la»
>> Spark, datascience «à la» Pandas/Dask (pandas with multi nodes
>> computing)
>
> I've found it to be very difficult to move away from Python in
> general, it isn't only about frameworks but the massive amount
> of focused tested libraries available. For instance, I recently
> were to analyze a set of HRTFs (signal processing impulse
> and Python libraries for it. I tried to set up the C++ library,
> but it turned out to be time consuming, Python was just plug
> and play... so I ended up doing everything in numpy.
>
> At the end of the day developer time was more precious than
> execution time, which was somewhat slow, but not slower than
> the time I saved on development time.
>
> It is very difficult for any language to get there, not because
> of the computational aspect, but because of the interfacing,
> both social and technical.

Exactly the strength of python is the eco-system and not a
library alone.
For datascience they are a rich ecosystem with
pandas/dask/ray/numpy/scikitlearn as core.

I see in my works when you have to choose a language is not for a
killer app but for a set of library that meet our needs. This
eco-system have to be easy to set as our job is to make an
application with all requested feature not a try hard path to
install and configure new things.

And I am a D fan but for reason above I never yet be able to use
D for a professional needs.

Moreover we have to take in account the number of candidate to
hire which would like to do a D application … Its is close to
impossible to find while Rust most have never used it but it is a
dreamed technology and they want to learn it with a professional
use case.
Recently with the declaration of linus torvald that c++ is a shit
and Rust is now into to the kernel. The Rust hype growth even
quickly.

To me, Walter Bright or Andrei Alexandrescu have to meet Linus
Torvald to shown how D is a good language. And After let the
influencer Linus Torvald to do the job.