Modern C++ Won't Save Us

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Fri Apr 30 16:36:26 UTC 2021

On Friday, 30 April 2021 at 16:29:09 UTC, Imperatorn wrote:
> +1 for this. D should be the "sane" alternative. Like allow low
> level stuff, but also enable high productivity and safety. I
> think that's an area where D could be/is great.

I found it interesting that several people want async/await in D.
I have only limited experience with async/await, but people seem
to be enthusiastic about it.

> Also more embedded focus imo.

Then one should target one platform such as Arduino and do it
really well for that platform.

To reach the embedded audience on would need a smaller default
runtime I think. Also solid support for fixed allocations and
proving stack depth is wanted in that area.

A task-based system is actually quite useful in that space. All
preallocated, allow suspension only when the stack is empty, put
all other variables in the task-object. (Basically a stackless
coroutine.)