make AUTO_BOOTSTRAP=1 fails and suggests to use AUTO_BOOTSTRAP=1

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Fri Apr 30 19:22:57 UTC 2021

I mentioned this in the past, apparently it hasn't been resolved.

Tried to install a dev tree for dmd from complete scratch. So:

$ curl https://raw.githubusercontent.com/dlang/tools/master/setup.sh
 >/tmp/setup.sh
$ /tmp/setup.sh

The script gets everything from github nice and fast but then fails to
download
http://downloads.dlang.org/releases/2.x/2.095.0/dmd.2.095.0.linux.tar.xz
for some reason.

Anyway, I then try to run:

$ cd dmd
$ make AUTO_BOOTSTRAP=1 -f posix.mak

As mentioned in the title, the command fails and confusingly suggest
using AUTO_BOOTSTRAP=1, which is already there.

If the plan is to give up boostrapping, fine but let's eliminate the
code. The way things are now we both pay for the technical debt and we
don't profit from it.

Of course it would be much better if bootstrapping actually worked.