The Walter files

Guillaume Piolat first.last at gmail.com
Wed Aug 4 22:36:53 UTC 2021

On Wednesday, 4 August 2021 at 21:58:58 UTC, Brian Tiffin wrote:
> I'm still fairly new here.  Does anyone have a Walter's Wisdoms
> file?  Add this one.  An ageless wisdom, well spoken.

On bugs vs input errors:

"I believe this is a misunderstanding of what exceptions are for.
"File not found" exceptions, and other errors detected in inputs,
are routine and routinely recoverable.

This discussion has come up repeatedly in the last 30 years. It's
root is always the same - conflating handling of input errors,
and handling of bugs in the logic of the program.

The two are COMPLETELY different and dealing with them follow
completely different philosophies, goals, and strategies.

Input errors are not bugs, and vice versa. There is no overlap."
- Walter Bright, 2014

Programming Languages on Crack:
https://forum.dlang.org/post/saeagb$10t6$1@digitalmars.com

AST macros:
https://forum.dlang.org/post/qkpgea$1am3$1@digitalmars.com
https://forum.dlang.org/post/l6co6u$vo$1@digitalmars.com

Andrei also have "Great work is the cure for Good work"
https://forum.dlang.org/post/q7u6g1$94p$1@digitalmars.com