[OT] Walter's anecdotes

Brian Tiffin btiffin at gnu.org
Fri Aug 6 07:54:10 UTC 2021

On Thursday, 5 August 2021 at 17:46:22 UTC, Dennis wrote:
> Brian Tiffin asked in the thread [Do you use D's
> GC?](https://forum.dlang.org/post/gthgnueerizzgirfpmrt@forum.dlang.org) "Does anyone have a Walter's Wisdoms file?"

And here's the one that caused me to interrupt the other thread...

Do you use D's GC?

There's some good replies here.

When I write high performance code, I use a mix of manual and GC
allocation. Stuff that's critical for performance or recycling
memory, I use manual. For not critical stuff, like setup and
configuration code, I use the GC because it's so much more
convenient.

BTW, regardless of what language you use, or use GC or not,
there's no way to write a high performance program without being
cognizant of its memory consumption patterns.