You are a stupid programmer, you can't have that

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Sun Aug 8 17:45:39 UTC 2021

On 8/8/2021 7:30 AM, Max Samukha wrote:
>> I replaced it all with versions, and the problems went away.
>
> You have just dismissed the problems caused by your solution, as you often do.

The static if solution was written by people who asserted I was wrong, that they
needed that power. I got involved in it is because the static if solution
resulted in the predicted bugs, and it fell into my lap to fix the bugs.

No programming technique is without problems, but it's better to use the
technique with fewer problems.

I cannot transfer my experience to others, I can only explain. If people want to
do things their way on their projects, that's ok, but with the D project we need
to follow best practices.

Over time, as people gain experience with D and get comfortable with D best
practices, the desire for #if expressions tends to fade, and the value in D's
version system becomes evident.