You are a stupid programmer, you can't have that

bachmeier no at spam.net
Mon Aug 9 15:15:53 UTC 2021

On Saturday, 7 August 2021 at 12:15:15 UTC, IGotD- wrote:

> Somewhat related. when Java was designed, the designer (James
> Gosling I believe) claimed that programmers were too stupid to
> understand the difference between signed and unsigned math
> (despite often several years of university education) and
> removed signed math entirely from the language. The impact is
> that when unsigned math is required, you are forced to
> conversions and library solutions. Not ideal when an HW APIs
> deals with unsigned numbers for example.

Programmers are humans that write programs. I've surely written
more than a million lines of code in my life (who knows how much,
but that's definitely a lower bound) and I did not study unsigned
math in college. I took one programming class and I've done a lot
of independent study. Maybe I could figure out how to work with
unsigned math, but why would I want to? I have better things to
do with my time.

But set all that aside. Anyone that's taught a university class
will agree that you can't assume someone understands something
just because they attended a lecture and took a test over it.

I don't necessarily disagree that there are *some* cases of
overly restrictive language design. I didn't last very long with
Go for that reason. I just think unsigned math is not the best
example. Switching to safe by default would be a better example.