Seems, almost all "mesonified" packages broken?

Alexandru Ermicioi alexandru.ermicioi at gmail.com
Tue Aug 10 08:08:50 UTC 2021

On Tuesday, 10 August 2021 at 02:48:21 UTC, Denis Feklushkin
wrote:
> On Monday, 9 August 2021 at 17:27:37 UTC, Alexandru Ermicioi
> wrote:
>> On Sunday, 8 August 2021 at 14:15:23 UTC, Denis Feklushkin
>> wrote:
>>>>

>>> Also I propose to everyone interested in Meson join into team
>>> on Github and create Meson wraps/forks for all needed
>>> packages: https://github.com/D-meson/
>>
>> Would not be better to make a dub plugin that auto-generates
>> meson build files out dub config?
>
> As I understand, dub plugin system generates only for
> particular config what selected for current build. But
> meson.build files should cover all dub abilities simultaneously.

The idea I had was, for a plugin that on deploy to package
registry would then generate by default meson build files, and
when fetched by dub on your local machine you'd already have
everything set up for meson projects.

This plugin could work also when you package your project too,
although in this case it would be present in the package.

> For very simple projects only, because used by this way
> packages will not be able use Meson. For example, you won't be
> able to pass from Meson some tricky flag to some object file.
> Meson as a GNU license, it is pretty viral.

Well, I doubt every person using meson or any other build system
would jump into changing stuff in libraries used in the project.
The point of build systems and package managers is just to say 'I
want this, and don't bother me setting every piece by myself',
hence having a plugin for meson that knows how to convert dub
libs at runtime to smth understandable for meson, would be (imho)
far more useful, and would cover all dub libs by default. If
someone though would want to 'pass special flag' then I guess he
can fallback to old way of doing everything with your hands, or
the plugin can itself help with parts of it as you've mentioned.

Note, that I don't use meson at all, so not sure if it is
possible to have plugins for dub, though if possible, then it
would be imho better thing to make compared to wrapper packages.
Just wanted to suggest you some ideas for consideration.

Also what has gpl license have to do with meson plugin? Per my
understanding it would be meson application that would use your
plugin not in reverse, so you should be able to have any license
you want.