D's tail

Vladimir Panteleev thecybershadow.lists at gmail.com
Tue Aug 10 16:19:31 UTC 2021

On Tuesday, 10 August 2021 at 12:19:26 UTC, Dukc wrote:
> But all in all, in D one has to be prepared to use older
> compiler versions if updating old code is not possible or worth
> the effort.

Old D versions do not receive platform compatibility updates.
E.g., it's not possible to build a program with D 2.060 on recent
versions of macOS, and old versions of macOS don't run on new
hardware, so you actually have to keep the old hardware around.
(Or at least that's how I understand it - not a mac user.)

Old versions of D also do not compile on recent systems. I
maintain Digger which attempts to solve this problem, though.
(This doesn't help solve the problem above.)