Humble benchmark (fisher's exact test)

Tejas notrealemail at gmail.com
Sat Aug 14 16:20:21 UTC 2021

On Saturday, 14 August 2021 at 14:14:08 UTC, Guillaume Piolat
wrote:
> On Saturday, 14 August 2021 at 02:19:02 UTC, Ki Rill wrote:
>> It's a simple benchmark examining:
>> * execution time (sec)
>> * memory consumption (kb)
>> * binary size (kb)
>> * conciseness of a programming language (lines of code)
>>
>> [Link](https://github.com/rillki/humble-benchmarks/tree/main/fishers-exact-test)
>
> Using the `intel-intrinsics` package you can do 4x exp or log
> operations at once.

I know both D and C can theoretically reach the same level of
performance, but why does C **always** lead by a few
milliseconds? What is it that we aren't doing? Is it the
implementation's fault? The optimizer? What can we do for those
precious few milliseconds?

It's so frustrating to see C/C++ always being the winners in the
**absolute** sense, and we always end up making the argument
about how much more painstaking it is to actually create a
complete program in those languages only for negligibly better
performance.

Do these benchmarks even matter if it's all about the quality of
implementation?

Sorry if I'm sounding a little bitter.