[Semi-OT] On the topic of build tools

Dukc ajieskola at gmail.com
Sun Aug 15 19:10:18 UTC 2021

On Saturday, 14 August 2021 at 06:27:54 UTC, evilrat wrote:

> I do, a lot of people have that issue as well. This isn't
> really an issue until it is controlled, but when it's not the
> end result is almost empty GH page and a broken career.

Might I add that there is a middle-road way to deal with this.
One obviously should not develop everything from ground up, but I
think it's okay to apply small personal patches to editors,
version control or compilers, for example.

Also for simple stuff, like build scripts or syntax colouring
schemes, it's totally reasonable to write your own if that works
better.

Of course, you should always mind compatibility with others when
doing this. If you tweak your DMD for example, I think it's
reasonable to make tweaks to it's error reporting format, but not
to the language semantics - otherwise you are not writing D
anymore. The latter can be done if you're not expecting anybody
else to work with your code.

> Every time I need to start a project I have this:
>
>   "meh, these libraries sucks, the author was stupid",

Guess where I though kind-of like that? When reading the API of C
standard library!

https://cplusplus.com/reference/cstdlib/atof/

> If no valid conversion could be performed, the function
> returns zero (0.0).

WAT?!!

> If str does not point to a valid C-string, or if the
> converted value would be out of the range of values
> representable by a double, it causes undefined behavior.

WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT..??!!

Seriously though, I should not be this judgemental. This is all
hindsight - perhaps there was no NaN to represent non-number back
when `atof` was designed or something.