Is AliasAssign Now Official?

Paul Backus snarwin at gmail.com
Thu Aug 19 15:18:46 UTC 2021

On Thursday, 19 August 2021 at 14:32:27 UTC, Basile B. wrote:
> On Thursday, 19 August 2021 at 13:43:34 UTC, Paul Backus wrote:
>> [...]
>> Yes, a DIP or -preview switch should have been required.
>> However, Walter Bright, the author and primary maintainer of
>> D, [...]
>
> sure... but from an external point of view, and since this is
> not a hot topic anymore, AliasAssign was only made to obstruct
> "Uplink" work on "type functions".

I think this is an uncharitable interpretation of the situation.
Type functions were always extremely experimental, and it was
uncertain if a complete implementation of them would ever be
feasible (indeed, Stefan himself has since abandoned type
functions in favor of core.reflect, for this exact reason). The
point of AliasAssign was to investigate whether some of the
benefits of type functions could be gained with a much simpler
implementation.