Is AliasAssign Now Official?

Alexandru Ermicioi alexandru.ermicioi at gmail.com
Thu Aug 19 20:40:30 UTC 2021

On Thursday, 19 August 2021 at 20:16:19 UTC, Basile B. wrote:
> I suspect that this feature nobody cares about was motivated by
> the newCTFE failure, which has caused a serious trusting issue
> in Stefan work.
>
> I cannot be more honnest. This is really what I think.

Tbh, the target of making a vm for compile time code was too high
of a jump, hence epic crash. Before even attempting to do a vm
for the compile time code, the compiler itself should've been in
right state to be able to reuse existing components.

The target for new ctfe should've been something less grandiose,
than full blown vm, and backend for it.

I really, anticipated that feature, since aedi (dependency
injection lib) I've written relies on heavy template recursion
and hence high compile time, and got really disappointed when
nothing really came out of all advertising I've been seeing that
time, really it should've been kept quiet, or as concise as
possible instead of being loud all over forums.

R.I.P. (as far as I know) new ctfe on fancy vm.

Regards,
Alexandru.