Is AliasAssign Now Official?

Basile B. b2.temp at gmx.com
Fri Aug 20 05:38:33 UTC 2021

On Thursday, 19 August 2021 at 20:40:30 UTC, Alexandru Ermicioi
wrote:
> On Thursday, 19 August 2021 at 20:16:19 UTC, Basile B. wrote:
>> I suspect that this feature nobody cares about was motivated by
>> the newCTFE failure, which has caused a serious trusting issue
>> in Stefan work.
>>
>> I cannot be more honnest. This is really what I think.
>
> Tbh, the target of making a vm for compile time code was too
> high of a jump, hence epic crash. Before even attempting to do
> a vm for the compile time code, the compiler itself should've
> been in right state to be able to reuse existing components.
>
> The target for new ctfe should've been something less
> grandiose, than full blown vm, and backend for it.
>
> I really, anticipated that feature, since aedi (dependency
> injection lib) I've written relies on heavy template recursion
> and hence high compile time, and got really disappointed when
> nothing really came out of all advertising I've been seeing
> that time, really it should've been kept quiet, or as concise
> as possible instead of being loud all over forums.
>
> R.I.P. (as far as I know) new ctfe on fancy vm.
>
> Regards,
> Alexandru.

What you say is moslty true, however there's a detail that you
forget : it was also supposed to reduce memory use.

Anyway what I said yesterday, i reprhase because i was a bit
"tired" let's say, is that I think that this failure had a
negative impact on how type functions were perceived. newCTFE was
sold to the community : many forum posts, several videos, a DConf
talk, many hours spent to develop or to rebase...
So this was legit to be a bit doubtful when the same guy comes
and say "new ctfe was BS, type functs is what we need"... but the
answer to this doubt, so AliasAssign, was not great.