{dmd, druntime} -> {dmd+druntime} i.e. Monorepo?

IGotD- nise at nise.com
Mon Aug 23 07:51:52 UTC 2021

On Monday, 23 August 2021 at 01:01:34 UTC, max haughton wrote:
> Thesis: Develop dmd and druntime together in a monorepo, since
> they are developed and shipped together. I think this could
> potentially save a lot of hassle for both developers and
> consumers, especially the former: No more waiting for druntime
> PRs to go through, and hopefully less CI-senbugs.
>
> Antithesis?

Yes, if you for example want to develop a special druntime, then
it is better to have dmd and druntime separated as you don't need
the extra dmd baggage.

A similar argument can be done to merge phobos and druntime
because they are somewhat connected as well. I'm not suggesting
this however.

If you look at LDC, they have solved it by adding druntime and
phobos as git submodules. This is a good idea as you get the
exact snapshots of each version and don't have to manually set
the version of each separate git. Why haven't the dmd repos done
the same?