Are these bencmarks recent and real?

jfondren julian.fondren at gmail.com
Mon Aug 30 15:34:13 UTC 2021

On Monday, 30 August 2021 at 13:12:09 UTC, rempas wrote:
> Just trying to compile a sample basic gtk-d project (including
> the libraries themselves) using ldc2 and optimization "-Os" and
> seeing how much time this takes, I want to ask if the
> benchmarks found
> [here](https://github.com/nordlow/compiler-benchmark) about
> ldc2 are real. Again seeing the gtk-d project taking so much
> time, It's hard to believe that ldc2 compiles faster that tcc
> and go. However, this test probably doesn't use optimizations
> but still.... Ayn thoughts?

You can see how recent they are, and yeah they're real, but it's
a very specific artificial benchmark and there's a lot more to
say about compilation speeds about the various languages. That D
can compile amazingly fast can be shown just by building dmd
itself. But unlike go, D also gives you a bunch of tools that you
can use to make compile times take a lot longer. Likewise you
could say that D can make just as careful use of memory as a C
program, but that D unlike C also gives you a bunch of tools that
you can put towards much less careful use of memory.