Are these bencmarks recent and real?

rempas rempas at tutanota.com
Mon Aug 30 17:26:20 UTC 2021

On Monday, 30 August 2021 at 15:34:13 UTC, jfondren wrote:
> On Monday, 30 August 2021 at 13:12:09 UTC, rempas wrote:
>> Just trying to compile a sample basic gtk-d project (including
>> the libraries themselves) using ldc2 and optimization "-Os"
>> and seeing how much time this takes, I want to ask if the
>> benchmarks found
>> [here](https://github.com/nordlow/compiler-benchmark) about
>> ldc2 are real. Again seeing the gtk-d project taking so much
>> time, It's hard to believe that ldc2 compiles faster that tcc
>> and go. However, this test probably doesn't use optimizations
>> but still.... Ayn thoughts?
>
> You can see how recent they are, and yeah they're real, but
> it's a very specific artificial benchmark and there's a lot
> more to say about compilation speeds about the various
> languages. That D can compile amazingly fast can be shown just
> by building dmd itself. But unlike go, D also gives you a bunch
> of tools that you can use to make compile times take a lot
> longer. Likewise you could say that D can make just as careful
> use of memory as a C program, but that D unlike C also gives
> you a bunch of tools that you can put towards much less careful
> use of memory.

Yeah I checked the last commit which was 11 July so yeah they are
very resent. My only complain about D's memory management is that
the Garbage collector is used in the Phobos so I cannot mark my
whole project with `@nogc`. I think the library is a specific
thing and probably we could get away doing manual memory
management and also being bug-free but I don't take it on me. I
may be wrong