[OffTopic] A vulnerability postmortem on Network Security Services

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 13:44:49 UTC 2021

On Friday, 3 December 2021 at 13:33:22 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> On Friday, 3 December 2021 at 12:27:11 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
>> So you are saying that this will be required and not an option
>> once all CPUs are capable? Right now it seems to be opt-in?
>
> Yes that is the whole point.

Why would it be the whole point, though? Processes are isolated
so bugs do not matter for things like games where speed is more
important?

> https://source.android.com/devices/tech/debug/tagged-pointers
>
> Note the "all heap allocations" on the documentation and it
> being enabled on Pixel 4 and later devices.

Yes, that was pretty clear. MTE will be required in the future on
Android devices.

Well. Seems like the only sensible initialization strategy is to
use zero as the default from now on since that is what will be
provided by the tagging allocator on all ARM devices… as far as I
can tell.