injecting imports when compiling

bauss jj_1337 at live.dk
Wed Dec 8 07:46:20 UTC 2021

On Tuesday, 7 December 2021 at 09:54:40 UTC, WebFreak001 wrote:
> Hi, I think it would be interesting to have a compiler flag to
> inject imports into all compiling .d files.
>
> This would be basically just extending the built-in implicit
> `import object;` that's in every non-betterC D file with any
> custom file you, or the build tool, might want to add.
>
> Use cases:
> - small application templates/modes with common imports set
> (like std.stdio, std.conv, std.algorithm, std.array,
> std.format) so you can more easily and quickly prototype (C# 10
> / .NET 6 for example added this with implicit usings, though
> I'm not a fan because C# is just not that good at quick
> prototyping like D is)
>
> - better DUB environment injection:
>   - allow to pass in package version (usually built from git
> tag + commit hash, or when fetched the actual version) - this
> currently needs workarounds by invoking some preBuildCommands,
> which may not work on every target machine (e.g. DCD,
> D-Scanner, dfmt invoking rdmd, which is usually installed, but
> for example not on linux distros that package each tool
> individually)
>   - allow to define manifest constants for different features
> (like build config name, configuration name, passed in
> architecture/triple, custom defined strings from dub.json)
>   - possibility to publish packages that could have a flag to
> inject into the global namespace, for very common stuff or
> debugging stuff like custom asserts
>   - additionally to the `Have_xyz` versions we could define
> `enum string xyz_version = "1.2.3";` to allow dependencies to
> act differently based on package versions
>     - we could additionally expose a `dubHave("packageName",
> "minVersion")` function for conditional compilation
>   - expose build options, flags, requirements, toolchain info,
> etc.
>
> - allows to define special UDAs as a kind of UDA stdlib that
> could be used for linting, auto completion hints, static
> analysis etc. Think of:
>   - `@nullable` for reference types
>   - standard `@suppressWarning("...")` for D-Scanner or other
> linters
>   - common, interoperable `@optional`, `@required` UDAs for all
> serialization libraries (maybe as a library though)
>
> Do you like this idea? Have any suggestions? Concerns?

Another thing that would be great would be something like "import
*;" which would import all modules in the current compilation
unit, since traits doesn't work very well on all types in a
package and you often can't retrieve all symbols, so being able
to import all modules will ensure all symbols are available in a
specific module.

This is very useful when autogenerating code based on modules
located in multiple different packages etc.

Or at least something like what you suggested that allows to
specific a module that has all modules imported per standard
through command-line as you've shown, of course with a flag that
allows exclusion of certain modules/packages ex. you probably
would want to exclude the standard library.