How to convert C to D using compiler?

Guillaume Piolat first.last at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 14:41:39 UTC 2021

On Wednesday, 8 December 2021 at 14:30:46 UTC, Max Samukha wrote:
> On Wednesday, 8 December 2021 at 13:13:05 UTC, Guillaume Piolat
> wrote:
>

>> Disagree.
>> For example SIMD, array ops, DUB improved and transitionned
>> from unusable to workhorse.
>> Stuff that no one cares about, on the other hand, gets in the
>> limbo zone much longer.
>
> I disagree in my turn. There is a clear pattern: a new cool
> feature is introduced; people try to use it but give up because
> the feature is half-implemented/buggy; then, a few years later,
> the feature gets deprecated because "nobody used it".

I struggle to find an example honestly?

There used to be such early bumps with UDAs or nothrow, or ranges.
For a decade or so, arrays ops simply crashed DMD with
optimizations on. Now they work. Brings value for the daily D
programmer actually.

Again I was a big user of builtin complexes, and loudly
compagined against their removal.
When removal day came, it was very little work and worked without
penalty or adverse effect.
So in the end the D core team was right not to listen to me...
and now it is argued on the D forums that complex numbers were
removed as if it was a bad thing and people were impacted. Well,
no, was a good change.